The BSc (Computing) programme prepares students to demonstrate in-depth skills and knowledge in relation to IT applications that support business needs.
Salient Features of the Oil & Gas Pathway
The programme will equip students for a career in the domain of IT solutions and management in the Oil and Gas Industry. Graduates of the BSc (Hons) Computing (Oil & Gas) programme will be ideally positioned to acquire a job in the oil and gas industry among its IT solution providers. The programme is the first of its kind and is specifically designed for students looking to gain the required competency to help fill a major skills gap within the oil and gas industry. It will provide hands-on experience with technologies like SCADA, Wireless Sensor Network, Industrial Computing, Oil and Gas processes and Industrial Data networks.
This course will produce computing practitioners who:
- Have a good understanding of Information Technology applications in the Oil and Gas industry.
- Are able to design, implement and evaluate IT services with the needs of the Oil and Gas industry and its IT providers in mind
- Possess a deep understanding of professional, ethical, legal and security issues in the industry
- Are able to integrate the use of IT tools and techniques into the framework of an appropriate development methodology to develop high quality software solutions.
- Diploma in Higher Education
- BSc (Honours)
Mode of delivery: Full-time and Part-time
Students must register for a particular award in order to qualify for that award
This pathway aims to provide students with:
- A good understanding of the IT requirements of the Oil and Gas Industry.
- The ability to align IT services with the needs of the Oil and Gas industry and its IT providers.
- Proficiency in the use of modern industrial computing environment
- The skills needed to design and develop computing solutions for the oil and gas industries.
Job Opportunities include
- System Support Manager
- Industrial Computing Executive
- Oil & Gas Network Manager
- SCADA System Administrator
- Wireless Network Architect
- Sensors Network Administrator
Modules in Level 1 (First Year)
|1||Arabic Language and Society (Arabic speakers) / Omani Culture and Civilization (Non-Arabic Speakers)||15|
|2||English Vocabulary in Use||15|
|3||Fundamentals of Business Management||15|
|4||Fundamentals of ICT||15|
|5||English for General Reading and Writing||15|
|6||Professional Communication Skills in English||15|
|7||Fundamentals of Personal Development||15|
|8||Logical and Problem Solving Skills||15|
Modules in Level 2 (Second Year)
|1||Integrated Language Skills for IT||15|
|2||Mathematical and Statistical Skills||15|
|3||Computer Systems and Networking||15|
|4||Introduction to Programming||15|
|5||Academic Reading and Writing for IT||15|
|6||Digital Logic Design||15|
|7||System Analysis and Design||15|
|8||Data Structure and Algorithms||15|
Modules in Level 3 (Third Year)
|1||English for Professional Development and Communication||15|
|2||IT Research Methods||15|
|3||Database Management Systems||15|
|4||Local Area Networks||15|
|5||Oil and Gas Business Processes||15|
|6||Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition||15|
|7||Industrial Data Networks||15|
|8||Data Visualization Techniques||15|
Modules in Level 4 (Fourth Year)
|1||Project Management Methods and Tools||15|
|3||Wireless Sensor Networks in the Oil and Gas Industry||15|
|4||Data Warehousing and Data Mining||15|
|5||Enterprise Information Management||15|
|6||Entrepreneurship and Small Business||15|
|7||Technology Project (Dissertation)||30|