Job Advertisement – Head of Faculty (English Language Studies)
Majan University College (Muscat, Oman) is an accredited college of the University of Bedfordshire. It is a well-established college in the Sultanate, and was the first HEI to achieve full institutional academic accreditation in the country. It has three undergraduate faculties (Business, IT and English) and a Foundation Programme. It also has an active Postgraduate Centre, which offers Masters level programmes in the three core areas of its academic offerings.
The College is seeking to recruit a new Head for the Faculty of English Language Studies (FOELS). Part of this role includes being responsible for the Foundation Programme of the college.
We are looking for a candidate with the following profile:
- A PhD in Linguistics, Applied Linguistics or TESOL;
- An excellent command of English, if English is not the first language of the candidate;
- Appropriate teaching experience in higher education (ideally at foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate levels);
- A publication record indicative of ongoing post-PhD research activity;
- Experience in holding a senior management position in a higher education context;
- Excellent communication and management skills, with a strong team player outlook;
- An understanding of, and experience in, quality assurance and accreditation processes and procedures.
- Experience working in an international educational context (desirable).
The successful candidate will be responsible, among other things, for:
- Developing effective strategic and operational plans to support the growth of the Faculty in terms of students, programmes and resources in consultation with the Deans of the College;
- Identifying resource requirements to ensure efficient delivery of the curriculum in coordination with the Deans;
- Steering the FoELS programmes through academic accreditation;
- Reviewing and reporting annually on the standards of leadership, teaching and learning in the faculty;
- Chairing Faculty boards, staff meetings and any other committees as required;
- Undertaking a teaching commitment of up to five class contact hours each week;
- Working closely with the Quality Assurance and Registry Department in order to ensure compliance with quality assurance processes and requirements;
- Supporting the Deans in the formulation of College policies in cooperation with other Managers and staff.
Remuneration and Benefits:
The College offers an internationally competitive tax-free salary commensurate with academic rank and experience.
Application Procedure and Timeframe:
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to (video) interview for the position in December and January. The appointment is scheduled to begin between March 2020 and September 2020 dependent upon the candidate’s availability.
We require Assistant Professors, in Entrepreneurship/Small Business Management, Transport Operations and Logistics Management, General Business Management, Human Resource Management, Accounting, Banking and Islamic Finance.
Candidates must have
PhDin the relevant discipline from recogniseduniversities
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in a reputed Higher Education Institution
- Excellent IT skills and familiarity with recent developments in educational technology
- Excellent classroom interaction skills and interest in innovative pedagogy
- Internationally intelligible pronunciation
- Research Active (preferred)